Tuesday, December 6, 2011

How can I get all the silk off of corn on the cob?

I have a bushel of corn to deal with and I'm having a hard time getting all of the silk off. I have tried a small brush, a dry towel, a wet towel... Any ideas would be appreciated.|||soak it in water, that usually gets rid of it|||I usually just peel the husk off and most of the silk comes off, whatever doesn't I usually just pick off or brush off with my hands|||Just cook it,it should just come of in the boiling water.|||Brushes should help some, but dont bruise the corn. You may NOT be able to get every piece off, but once you boil it the remaining will come off in the hot water.|||I had to shuck a bunch of corn before, what I did was just soak it in lukewarm water for a while, then use a brush on. Just be sure to clean it really good.. because tiny tiny bugs can be in there, and you don't want to eat those!|||Picking at it under running water usually works for me.|||Use a soft bristle tooth brush.|||I soak mine in cold water, then use a very fine vegetable brush, and brush against the grain and it comes off pretty good... good luck!|||After removing the husks, run each cob under cold running water, while rubbing with ur thumbs. Works every time. :-)|||Two things -- I used to work at a farm market and I've shucked a LOT of corn:





1. When you're taking the leaves off, grab the corn silk at the top where it's all together like a ponytail. Peel it back in sections slowly, so you can get as much as possible off without breaking it. Take advantage of the fact that it's all together at that point.





2. Use the little brush for the last of it. You can never get every little bit, because the corn kernels grow around it and then it's stuck. But you can get almost all. Just in step 1, it's usually pretty much done.|||I used to freeze bushels of corn all the time. We just grabbed the top and pulled down getting most of the silk while shucking.





The leftover silk could be pulled out manually and then the stubborn bits freed by using a round bristle brush with handle under running water. (this takes about 3 strokes to get it all)|||Remove corn silk by gently rubbing a damp paper towel from top to bottom of the corn cob, the silk will attach to the damp towel.|||use an old tooth brush works every time... Good luck Grant M from Pennsylvania

No comments:

Post a Comment