Thursday, November 24, 2011

How should I refashion a silk shirt?

I got a nice button down silk shirt from the thrift store today, and I'm planning on dyeing it and doing something with it. There's no way it's gonna be a shirt for me (waaaay too small), so I'm not really sure what to do with it. I'm a pretty decent sewer, but I have zero experience with silk, so some ideas would be very welcome.|||Rivers, being a Xmas freak, would cut it into as big of pieces as I could, around the seams and the buttons, and plan Xmas ornaments with it.


If some of the pieces were big enough, I would make doll dresses and accessories. One of Barbie's dresses [I'm making clothes for two little honorary grand daughters] needs a stole, I will fold it and sew it to make a 1940's look.


Save it. Collect more silk, don't dye it, yet, and save up for a beautiful silk patchwork or applique quilt. Or a pillow.


Silk does not lend itself to everyday things, like pincushions, but that would certainly be beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment