Thursday, November 24, 2011

What is the best way to prepare a silk velvet for sewing?

I am making a floor length silk velvet gown. While the dress will not be worn often, I do think it may be steamed a few times, so I want to preshrink the fabric before cutting. Has anyone here had any experience doing this? Should I just steam it with my industrial steamer? Should I take it to a dry cleaner?





I appreciate any pointers or advice.|||I've never used this fabric, but all my sewing magazines and books always say to prepare the fabric with the same cleaning treatment that will be used after the garment is sewn and worn.





Search elsewhere on the internet under "silk velvet gown preshrink" or something similar. Maybe you can find something within all the sites selling it. Call local fabric stores, they may be able to help. You can also ask the dry cleaner what to do if you wish.





I'll look for you and come back with an edit if I find anything.





EDIT: This site says to dry clean. http://silkery.com/sewing.html|||If the dress will be dry cleaned, have the fabric dry cleaned first. Steam is used for finishing a garment only - eventually it will need cleaning, why take any chances of ruining it after you have gone through all of the trouble and expense of making it.|||This site indicates an option of dry cleaning or hand washing.





I would test a swatch first.





http://www.distinctivefabric.com/fabric.鈥?/a>

No comments:

Post a Comment